Last Updated on
Are you someone who is tired of suffering from chronic pain? Does your mental health make each day a struggle? Every day, millions of people deal with health issues and spend countless hours researching treatments, visiting doctors or therapists and trying new medications. A recent trend that has emerged is natural and organic remedies. Many people are searching for a more natural and holistic way to address the root cause of their issues, whether they be physical ailments or mental health issues. A natural remedy is appealing for individuals for many reasons. Natural remedies have been around for much longer than pharmaceutical drugs, their use of which has been handed down through generations who have figured out how to best use nature’s resources. People find comfort in knowing what exactly they are ingesting and many have found that taking natural supplements reduces some of the side effects they have felt from regular pharmaceutical drugs.
One such method, CBD pills, are becoming common for relieving ailments. With natural remedies being the rage, it is important that you understand what exactly you are using, what it can be used for, what type of research has been done on the product, as well as the legality. The health of you and your family is your top priority, so let’s take some time to dig a little bit deeper to really understand the complexity that is CBD.
Table of Contents
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is one of the over 100 chemical compounds found in the cannabis plant, more commonly known as marijuana or hemp. CBD capsules are becoming commonly used as natural remedies for a variety of health issues, as they are non-intoxicating. CBD, not to be confused with Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is not psychoactive and does not cause the common “high” feeling that marijuana is known for. CBD is thought to react with your body’s endocannabinoid system that is connected to the central nervous system, and can have an impact on many areas of your health. CBD can be used in a variety of ways, but can be found in pills or even directly applied on the skin in creams or salves. The amount of CBD found in each different product and for each different use varies.
Benefits of Taking CBD Capsules Or Pills
There are a variety of ways to take CBD as a natural health supplement, including using oils, creams and lotions, capsules and pills, edibles and vaping. If you are considering using CBD, it is important to find the method of ingestion that is best suited for you. There are a variety of reasons why many people prefer taking CBD in the form of pills or capsules over the other forms. First of all, taking CBD in pill form assures that you will not have any of the hemp taste that may turn you off from using CBD as a health remedy. Additionally, you avoid having added sugar, such as with the gummy edible form of CBD. Finally, it’s discrete. A CBD capsule is small and looks just like an over-the-counter vitamin or other pill, so no one needs to know what you are taking. CBD pills come in both the softgel and traditional capsules. In terms of effectiveness, there is no real difference between the two. Rather, it is your personal preference of which type you prefer. CBD capsules generally only produce two side effects- dry mouth and the decreased ability to metabolize other medications. This means that if you are taking CBD capsules with other phamaceutical medications, you need to be aware of the impact it may have and speak with a medical professional about how to best combine your choices of health care remedies.
How Much Should I Take?
If you have previous experience with CBD in other forms such as edibles or vaping, you may find that when using CBD capsules, your body reacts differently. Each method of ingesting CBD has a different reaction for each person, so it is important to start with a low dose of CBD. With manhy forms of CBD use, such as vaping and oils, it is difficult to determine the correct dosage to use, as you would have to very carefully meaure and calculate your dosage based on different factors including your weight. This makes taking CBD in this form somewhat of a challenge. If you are looking for a way to ensure that you know how much CBD you are ingesting, capsules are the way to go.
Most CBD capsules are between 10-25 mg. You should start small, with a low dose, and gradually work your way to a larger quantity as you determine how your body reacts and what dosage is suitable for you. One noted drawback to the capsule form is the length of time from ingestion of the pill to it taking effect. However, once ingested, the effects of the CBD in the capsule form are longer lasting than other methods. This means that you will have to take fewer capsules of CBD throughout the day.
According to the MinistryOfHemp.com, CBD capsules often contain what is called “Full spectrum hemp extract”, which means that more parts of the hemp plant are included instead of simply the CBD. There is some research that suggests full spectrum hemp extract may be more effective than the CBD alone. When doing your research into what type of CBD capsule works best for you, it is important to look at the ingredients and decide what you would prefer. Capsules, ultimately, are the simplest and purest way to ingest CBD. There is no need for fancy measurement of dosages, no need to mix it with other ingredients, and no tools are needed to ingest it. Simply purchase the dosage that is appropriate for you and swallow it with a glass of water!
What are the Uses of CBD Pills or Capsules?
CBD capsules are beneficial for treating many different types of both physical and mental health disorders, including the following:
- Epilespy: One of the main uses of CBD capsules is for seizure disorders, specifically epilepsy. Epilepsy is the one health issue that research has proven can be positively impacted by using CBD. According to WebMD, the United States Food and Drug Administration approved a drug called Epidiolex. This drug contains a purified CBD oil that is used to treat to very rare form of epilepsy. Epidiolex is being used with children as young as two years old to treat epilepsy and is being prescribed by doctors in the United States with much success. This is currently the only use of CBD that has been approved by the FDA as both safe, effective and legal.
- Pain Relief: Chronic pain is an issue that can lead people to seek out many different treatments in an attempt to improve their quality of life. You may fear that chronic pain is something that you just have to live with if no other forms of intervention have been successful. Many people believe that CBD capsules are effective in treating chronic pain. Studies have shown that certain parts of marijuana, including CBD, can help individuals manage their pain by reducing inflammation in the body. Because CBD capsules are non-intoxicating, you can receive the pain relief without worry about becoming high. Specifically, this natural remedy has been found to have some positive impact on relieving pain due to multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Mental Health: Mental health has become growing concern for Americans. With over 44 million Americans suffering from a mental illness, the need for effective mental health treatment is something that many people search for. The most common forms of mental illness are anxiety and depression. While many people seek out pharmaceutical drugs to treat their depression or anxiety, these drugs may have negative side effects such as drowsiness, agitation, insomnia or headaches. If you are taking a benzodiazepine for your mental health, it could lead to addiction. CBD, while part of the marijuana plant, is a safe alternative due to its not-psychoactive and non-addictive qualities. CBD is thought to aid in generalized anxiety, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder as well as post-traumatic stress disorder, although the research on these effects is fairly limited. Additionally, CBD capsules have been used to treat psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia. CBD capsules treat the disorder by increasing serum anandamine levels in the brain, without having the signficant and potentially life-altering side effects that pharmaceutical drugs have.
- Diabetes and Obesity: Some research has shown that people who use CBD pills reportedly have a lower body mass index. The use of CBD capsules is sometimes seen as a preventative measure for individuals becoming obese or developing diabetes. Some studies have even show that using CBD has helped control individual’s insulin levels, which if uncontrolled could lead to weight gain.
- Reduced risk of Cancer: There is a small amount of research that shows that the use of CBD capsules could potentially prevent tumors and cancer from growing. Some research has also shown that CBD capsules have an impact in reducing tumors that are already present in one’s body. Much more research is needed into this to understand the best use of CBD to support cancer treatment.
The list of potential benefits of taking CBD capsules is extensive and impressive. A natural, cheaper way to approach some of life’s most common and scary health concerns. A natural remedy for some of life’s common ailments is something you may be searching for after being discouraged by endless attempts to manage your physical and mental health. However, the research is extremely limited and it is unclear what results may actually come from using it in any form. So what can you do if you are interested in pursuing the use of CBD as part of your health regiment?
First, research to make sure CBD capsules are actually legal to use in your state. If it is not and you feel strongly about its benefits, consider working with your state legislature and advocating for the legalization of medical marijuana to make CBD products readily available. While the use of natural remedies is appealing and individuals are becoming more accountable for their individual health and treatment, it is essential that you do not attempt to take all of your medical needs into your own control. It is recommended that if you are considering using CBD as a natural remedy for any type of health issue, that you are under the care of a medical professional who understands CBD. It is essential that you check with your doctor or therapist to understand how this might impact other medications you are using. Without federal regulations in place to ensure the purity of CBD in pills or other forms, you can not be entirely sure what chemicals you are putting in your body. Using natural remedies in combination with the care of a medical professional ensures that you are making a well-informed decision about your physical and mental well-being.
Natural and organic remedies such as CBD are emerging as an attractive way for individuals to take a more proactive approach to having control over their lifestyles. We can hope that for now, the research into the effectiveness and safety of these remedies continues and that, as we learn more about the positive effects, regulations can be put in place by the FDA. Taking care of the physical and mental health of yourself and your loved ones can often be stressful, time consuming and expensive. The option to pursue a natural approach using CBD leaves us feeling optimistic. So, do you research, talk with your medical professional, and decide if the use of CBD is the best route for you.